Monday, December 31, 2012

A Year Full of Fixing Things: 2012 in Review

This is just a little something that I usually do in my journal, but since I'm in the process of catching the blogging fever, I figured I'd do it on here for all to see.

2012 was as year of firsts, a year of lasts, a year of burning bridges and figuring out how to repair them. It was a year of discovery and a year of introspection. But above all, it was a year of things being broken...and me having to learn rather quickly how to repair them.

Pretty much everything in my possession broke at some point in 2012 - either figuratively or literally. So much so that I adopted a new theme song:




But really.

Among  the list of broken things were:
- my phone (x2)
- my laptop
- my car
- my spirit (I'm not being a Debby Downer, I'm just calling it how it was)
- my heart (as cheesy as it is, it was true)
- my plans (those were shattered, more like)

But across the board, as tried and tested as I was this year, I managed to overcome the pain, the surprise, and sometimes that absolute absurdity that accompanied some of these situations.

Example: My first phone fiasco of the year went a little something like this.  I had a cold, so I stopped off at the store to buy some DayQuil. I wanted to be environmentally conscious and not use a plastic bag for my one item so I just opened it, took a glug, and threw it in my purse. I got in my car, drove home, and lifted my purse up off the seat. And then saw a bright orange puddle on the seat. Let's just say my phone didn't make it, all of my cash was dyed bright orange, and my purse smelled like mentholated oranges for about two months. But a new phone was purchased, and promptly dropped down a flight of stairs, so an iPhone was then purchased with a 1-year idiot proof warranty and I have had no problems since.

My laptop breaking involves more clumsiness on my part, so I won't confess to that right now.

My car breaking is a rather sad story. I drove to Tucson to surprise my Pops for his bday...long story short, after driving 800 miles my transmission decided to forget how to shift gears. After deciding not to undergo a repair that cost almost twice as my car was worth, I instead bought my dream car. And I do have to say, driving is fun again!


No matter what has happened this year, and how many things have broken, I can tell you what was the most the hardest one to fix, and the hardest one to experience. I won't go into the details about how and why my heart was broken, as it will suffice to say that losing a friend you love is a truly awful experience. However, I will go into the details about the resolution. At the beginning of this year, I learned that I have some of the best friends on the planet. I learned that my back is thoroughly protected. And I learned that letting others love you is the fastest way to heal a broken heart.

I learned that playing laser tag is the fastest way to bond with people



I learned that Moab is a beautiful and amazing place


And that your real friends will take pictures of you falling asleep in the sun and getting the worst sunburn of your life, instead of waking you up.


I learned that going to concerts with some of your best friends can be some of the best memories you'll make


And that county fairs are SO MUCH FUN


 But the most important thing I learned about my friends, is that my real friends, the ones I will call my friends for life are the ones that have been there through it all. The ones that give me hugs when I'm down and the ones that patiently listen to me vent. The ones who make me laugh so hard I cry. They're the ones that I truly don't know what I'd do without. You know who you are ;)




And I learned that no matter what happens, my family will always be there for me

(Oh yeah. I graduated in 2012. That's another thing I did this year)

So I owe the fact that I not only got through this year, but loved this year to every single person who loved me and helped me along the way. And in case I didn't get around to telling you each individually, THANK YOU for that. I love you and I owe you!

So, in summary, get ready 2013. Wallis is back and better than ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment